Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Sunday Afternoon


I love what I am doing here in Toronto, I love every part of it but every couple days or so I have one of those moments that really stand out and surpass the normal routine of things.

Today was a joy, started with one of my young men showing up at church after requesting to come on Friday evening! He arrived before me and was very happy to see me when we showed up. He is restless boy and normally has trouble concentrating for long so needless to say the service was very long for him but he did outstandingly well. He hesitantly raised his hand when they asked if anyone was visiting for the first time but eagerly excepting his envelope of church info papers including a comic tract and a pen. Through out the service we chatted as he asked questions and looked through the different books and papers, as he got board we draw pictures together. As we drew he would randomly perk up and stop to listen as something the speaker said caught his attention which showed me that he was still listening. As we left the church I asked him and he replied that it was alright, I asked if he would want to come again and he was replied that he would and could he come any Sunday! We spend the next couple hours with another leader and a young lady visiting the library and reading books together. Not only was that fun but this young man struggles in reading and we were able to sit for awhile taking turns reading paragraphs of a children's book. After I dropped him off we wondered through the community, stopped and watching the local boys play ball for a bit and talking to people we ran into. Knocked on a door to touch base with a mom and see how she was doing this week.

These are the moments that I love, the simple yet meaningful moments of seeing kids I know running through the community excited to see me. Young men excited to go to church and loving the time he gets to spend with his leaders reading a book and walking him home. Taking the time to say hi to mom in the community even if I have nothing to say to her just to show her that we care about how she is doing. I am so happy for the warmer weather to be able to walk around outside and to see the community outside doing life together and to be able to be a part of it on a Sunday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment