Friday, March 11, 2016

Poverty

Poverty is commonly defined as  the state of being inferior in quality or insufficient in amount,  or according to Corbett and Fikkert, poverty is the result of relationships that do not work, that are not just, that are not for life, that are nor harmonious or enjoyable. Poverty is the absence of shalom in all its meanings.

Often when we think of someone who is poor we assume it begins and ends with money. That lack of money is the reason and the solution to poverty, but it is much more than that. Understanding poverty is not something most people seek out to understand, but understanding it in the depths it goes beyond financial stability or instability is crucial.

I am only in the beginning stages of understanding poverty and the effects and life of it. Often I see people very frustrated with seeing or experiencing the poverty of others and I included have been frustrated in similar ways. Yet, the more I seek to understand and learn the veins and arteries of poverty I am shocked by the binding power and control it has emotionally, relationally, mentally and physically.

Why am I thinking all of this now?

Over the last few weeks I have again met face to face with a very real aspect of poverty. I have been seeking to collect signed forms for our March Break Camp coming up very soon. They are not complicated forms, just the basic information; name, age, health card number, emergency contact and such.  It has been the rare exception to receive back a single form that is filled out in completion. Not only that but, it often involves me handing out over 30 forms in order to get 5 returned from a list of 20 kids.

Why? Why such a struggle to fill out a registration form and to get it in by a dead line?

What I don’t always think about when it comes to poverty is the root reasons for the symptoms that I experience with people. The inability to follow through with plans or to make commitments is just a symptom of greater things such as distrust, fear of the unknown, past hurts, disappointments and protecting one’s self from allowing it to happen again. And this makes sense when we think of poverty the way it was defined by Fikkert and Corbett  in the book “When helping hurts”. It has far less to do with money and far more to do with relationship that we so often frequently think and it begins to make more sense.

The way we view poverty will always effect that way we approach it. Always! If my conclusion is simply thinking of another person as lazy I will inevitable treat them in a way that only pushes them into further poverty of relational distrust and fear. Yes, there are a lot of issues when it comes to poverty to consider, but consider this. If I choose to view each person based on their financial state verses their relational state with themselves, God, nature and others I will treat them in every opposing ways. Money is a big issue, but a greater issue is how people understand God’s view of them, their own opinion, the opinion of others around them and the world they are living in. And if I am able to understand this within myself and in others the way I approach things begins to have the ability to restore these things within myself and in others.

Resources about poverty: (because this stuff isn’t all coming from me).
 “When helping hurts” by Corbett and Fikkert

No comments:

Post a Comment