Sunday, February 17, 2013

An overdue post!

It has been quite a while since I have been on here but I guess that testifies to just how busy I have been.
I am always busy and that is the way I like it but the last couple weeks have been busier than most! As the normal schedule continues we also have the pleasure and responsibility to completely planning March break camp. For the youth program we have the amazing opportunity to take about 60 kids from all three locations across Toronto up Muskoka Woods a Christian camp for four days filled with a lot of bible studies, games and fun that are currently being planned. J So lots of stuff going on.

Camp is still going very well this week included some memorable moments. Our kids got their report cards at the beginning of this week which can be good or bad depending on the kid. For one particular girl it was very difficult. She arrived at camp complaining she was sick so we sat in the office for a bit in silence since she didn't want to talk. I inquired about her report card and asked to she is but she told me she wasn't going to open it until she got home. As the day progressed we encouraged her to sit in the kitchen while we did our cooking activities. She sat and as time passed tears started rolling down her cheeks. She remained speechless, once again we sat in the office, me trying to get her talking or involved in anything while she remained the same. Having to deal with something else on hand I left her in the office but just before she left later that day she came to find me and handed me her report card. It was below the average…..she struggles in quite a few areas and was embarrassed to have the other kids know as well as upset with the fact her marks were low. As tough of a day as it was for her it was a huge growing day in the area of trust. After having the fear and disappoint that was sure to come from seeing her marks she decided to trust me and I was able to read off every good commend I could find on her report card which made her smile.

We also took a small group of kids skating down town on Friday night which included a lot of silly moments both on the subways and while walking. One particular little boy was just a barrel of laughs all night long, singing on the top of his lungs, walking directly behind a person mimicking the way they walked and leaping over signs. Skating proved to be fun but also very tiring as I pulled a lot of them around for the majority of the night but was defiantly worth every second!

As camp continues and as the end of my time here draws shorter and shorter it is hard to not get into the mind set of wrapping this up and slowing down and giving less effort. I have to remind myself that it isn’t over yet and that I have to give me all right till the very end. This week I am very excited to start woodworking projects with my boys. I along with another leader have decided to work together with both the younger and the older boys in teaching them basic woodworking skills as well as helping them accomplish building something that they are able to take home and keep and be proud of. I am really excited to begin this, boys are always a little bit harder to connect with and build deeper relationships since all they do is play ball but this is give opportunity for conversation as well as working on something together.

I also want to share a verse that has been a good reminder to me lately.
"Not by might, nor by power but by my Spirit says the Lord of hosts." Zech 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment