Thursday, February 28, 2013

My Jamaican Boys :)


O’Neil is a very special little boy who has been on my heart and mind a lot lately. He has only been in program for two years but from what I hear from my supervisor when he first came he was a very quiet boy. He would avoid conversation and sit alone; he would only get involved if he was playing basketball. O’Neil also has a younger brother who has equally been on my heart and mind. He is 7 and when he first came to camp very few people could understand him since he had such a thick Jamaican accent and was a crazy little boy who would random yet often be seen doing cart wheels on top of tables or walking on his hands across a full length room

Since those days there has been so much change in these two boys’ lives which is such a testimony to be able to hear experience and share. O’Neil is such a special boy who yes is pretty crazy but yet so good and sweet. He is twelve years old and carries so much responsibility for his brother and struggles so much in school. He is far behind and every day is told how stupid he is and that he cannot succeed. Just yesterday he came to camp very quiet and upset which is no longer normal for him, normally he is loud and full of energy but not yesterday. He sat alone in silence. I questioned what was going on and he told me he was having a bad day, that he had not wanted to go school and that his teacher doesn't like him and tells him that he is stupid. To cheer him up I suggested we play volleyball in the kitchen {the only free room in the building} and we had a blast, laughed lots and he later told me with smile on his face that he didn't want me to leave come May but that I should stay forever! O’Neil thrives off of quality times and just needs someone speaking words of encouragement and praise into his life for him to be able to succeed!

Germaine is such a crazy young man. He is never out of energy and continues to random scream at the top of his lungs and do cart wheels. Every day at 3:30 p.m. I walk across the road to the school and pick Germaine up from school, sometimes he yells at me for making him wait and other times he refuses to speak to me. It was a daily routine that I enjoyed and tried my best to use these 30 seconds to cross the road to pour into his life. I didn't think time meant anything to him but last Saturday I learn differently. I was going on a trip with my kids and so where the other leaders with their kids, Germaine went with them, yet he clung to my side as long as he could. When we all returned at the end of the day I was waiting on the church steps as they walked down the road towards the church when I could hear him screaming my name, he then ran across the road and gave me a huge hug which took me by surprise! His leader later told me how she has observed and that she can see just how much I mean to him and how much he loves me! And here I thought that 30 seconds every day didn't matter.

These brothers have a huge place in my heart and I love them so much. They both struggle in school so very much and are very behind with very little people in their lives who care enough to truly help them! Please pry for O’Neil and Germaine! I can’t imagine having to leave these boys but I know that God has a plan for their lives!
                                                                      O'Neil and Me
                                                                      Germaine and MC

No comments:

Post a Comment