Saturday, March 30, 2013

From Ashes to Flame


People can say a lot of things, like you are good a….. or your skilled in do…..or your spiritual gift is……

But when it comes down to it I so often find that I hear these things, appreciate them and who they came from and yet still remain uncertain as to how I am gifted or skilled. Even though I may be good at something ones or twice I don’t feel like I excel in it and I still feel so many weaknesses inside of me that although these words are encouraging, self-doubt and uncertainty remain.I can feel strong and confident, I can even appear to feel this way when in fact I actually don’t and I can normally get by and make it through things without crashing to hard in self-doubt or insecurities.

A couple weekends ago I was in Muskoka woods running a March break camp with 50 youth. I had helped plan the entire weekend, was executing the plan while leading other leaders and trying to actively be involved with the 50 youth. It was an incredible weekend and a lot of work. On the second evening things got pretty over whelming for me, I know I can lead and I have been told I am good at it but I wasn't always feeling like it and it got overwhelming. I was frustrated with someone on my team which completely drains my energy if I don’t get a chance to talk it out but did not get a chance due to all the demands, add that to lack of sleep and I was not in a very good state. The next morning I was able to talk things through and figure everything to get back on to the right page but then I had to go lead a bible study for everyone and this did not seem feasible.

I had struggled over writing this bible study for the past couple of weeks. The scripture I was going to used changed three times and the contend changed daily as I prayed over it to see what it was God wanted me to teach this particular morning. What I had to present and teach I had actually only written three days earlier and was not super familiar with the content. I was not in a good position nor did I feel the least bit confident or capable of doing what I knew I had to do. Arriving at the building to start one of my friends and co-leader came over and asked how I was feeling about leading knowing that I was in tight stop. He offered to pray over me and prayed that God would use me this morning.

I went from a troubled, anxious spot to stepping to the front of the room ready to do my very best no matter what others thought or how I felt. Peace took over and I spoke, I spoke on humility which was rather ironic. Told of how Jesus stooped and washed his disciple’s feet, rather relevant topic since the room stunk of feet. Continued by sharing how Jesus also humbled himself by coming down from the heavenly places as a baby to live in this world and then die for our salvation. The notes were in my hand but they went unread, the words just came and continued to poor of my mouth. I was speaking to myself more then I was speaking to anyone else in the room being in awe over the humble state of my Savior. The room was silent and I knew as I finished speaking of the awesomeness of our God that He had done a mighty thing that morning. He took what were ashes and made them burn hot in a large flame. That morning I was an ashes burning out of fire and flame and I was entirely open to Him taking over and He made a fire of passion for Him and for the 50 youth in the room to know Him.

It is difficult to explain without sounding crazy and I was hesitant about writing this for others to read. No one will fully understand what happened that morning, how God brought me to such a low place so that He could work through for me for the glory of His holy name. It is hard to get others to understand how much that experience did to me and what it continues to teach me.

People can say a lot of things and sometimes they are true and other times they are not so true but one thing I do know is that God knows me perfectly He has gifted me and enables me to use these gifts by His work in me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment