Thursday, March 21, 2013

Snow balls

Yesterday I was at the front door for when kids arrived to let them in and sign them in. A couple of the ten year old boys stayed a little longer on in the side yard to play in the snow. It was a really nice sunny day yet still pretty cool, it started with just one guy out in the snow rolling around and then making snowballs. Perfect packing snow. 

Child number two quickly joined and was almost a bad influence in suggesting throwing the snowballs and the other kids arriving. Not long after the third boy joined and the rest of the kids went inside. I stood there for awhile by myself watching these boys who normal are trouble makers just packing snow balls. 
I was mesmerized in watching them as they communicated, continued to pack snowballs and made a pile of them. I could not help but wonder what they planned to do with them and only hoped they did not start pelting people with them. 

It took me awhile to figure why I was enjoying watching them so much but then I realized that these three boys are only ten. So much of their life is so messed up and they lack so much of the normal child like attitude. They don't have those experience of sitting in a sand box for hours, or have snow forts or other things like that like I did when I was here age. 

Although I would not call these boys mature yet in so many ways that have had to to be! They are not expected to be young boys and play in a way that is just fun. There is so much tension in their lives, so much worry and fear. Their lives so are fast pace they don't have hours and hours to build snow forts like I did when I was ten. When I think of my sister Inake and what she is like as a ten year old I can see such a different between her and the ten year old's that I see every day.

Seeing these three young guys packing snowballs made my day because they were just being kids......... like they should be!

No comments:

Post a Comment