Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Potters at work

I flopped on our rickety old bed on the balcony. It was another late night and the breeze on the balcony was greatly welcomed. I was refreshed from my busy day that had gotten me down by the peace and quiet that the city offers late at night. I may be in the city but the moon still shines and assures me of that fact that I have a creator watching over me. The silence but interrupted by my new neighbors who so far are not the nicest people to live beside. He stood on the neighbor balcony slurring his words as he swore and yelled at his apparent “friend”. I was reminded of the many things in this world that are not as they should be, broken families, evil, pain, suffering, selfishness and the many other things that make this world the messed up place that it is. There is peace and good in this world but it is so often overshadowed by all the things that are not good and right.

The words from Jeremiah 18:5-6 came to my mind and reassured me “Than the word of the Lord came to me, O House of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter has done? declares the Lord. Behold, like the clay in the potter’s hand so are you in my hand”

I was reminded that even a midst the chaos and brokenness of this world there is something that reigns above all of these things. He is the Potter and He sees and is so aware of everything going on in this community, city and world. This entire world is in the palm of the Potters hand and He does with it exactly what He wants. I am in His hand and He can do with me whatever he sees fit. There is such joy in knowing this.


As we finish preparing this week and dive into training next weekend for summer camp and can reflect and remember these words that God does what He pleases. With every staff, volunteer and intern running summer camp and with every child and youth who will be attending, He is the Potter of each of these precious clay pots and He is building and molding each of the according to His will, in His timing, through His means and for His glory! He is working; He might flatten and kneed the clay multiple times before He completes His work on each clay jar. But I can rest assured, that even when I am trying to sleep as I am disturbed by the creepy neighbors that there is something far greater happening and the Potter is still working on His master piece in each of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment