Friday, July 26, 2013

Experiencing the blessings!

Just finished the third week of summer camp which means that we are official half way done with summer camp! I cannot believe how fast the last three weeks have gone. Being half way through is such a great stop to be in, everyone has figured out how camp runs, times has allowed for relationships to be made and to be brought to the next level of trust and dependency. 
This past week has really been a week of growth. Of kids opening up, asking questions and sharing their thoughts and struggles. Our time of bible study has shown me just how much my young girls desire to learn and to grow, they cling to any of my life examples that I share with them and this only helps to bring more trust into our small group. 
I have also by now see the worst and the best of my kids and because I have experienced them at their worst it makes their best just that much better. 

One of the big things I have noticed this past week is that because of the growth in relationships the last few weeks tough conversations have been able to happen. When kids act out and when problems have arise there have been so many times this week when I was able to pull a few of the youth out and just talk with them, addressing their mistakes but also helping them look to and think to the future to see how they could do things better next time. Experiencing them recognizing their own mistakes and desiring to be different is the biggest blessings I have from working with these youth. Today during our trip to the Toronto Zoo I particularly noticed one of my young ladies activity working at something she had been struggling with earlier this week. After half of the day had gone by she walked up to me to inform me that she was trying to do better. I assured her that I had noticed and was  very proud of her. 

Earlier this week I was praying with my program director who I also worked with last summer I was encouraged by his words saying how I had been a good leader but this year I was just one of them! Those words meant to me in that moment more then anyone reading this would understand. Today I had to watch a few of my friends/room mates say goodbye to their beloved kids from this past year.  I watch them give hugs, trying to help their kids understand why they have to leave and seeing the tears roll down their face as their hearts break. I understand, I think of how I would be if I had to say goodbye to all these kids and youth that I have loved and invested in and my heart breaks just thinking of it. Tears enter my own eyes just knowing and understanding the difficulty of having to say goodbye and to leave. 
As today ended and I sat on the beloved TTC I was filled with thankfulness for were I am, what I am doing and by the fact that I get to be here and get to remain here. That God isn't done with me here yet and that I can still love and grow with these amazing young people!

No comments:

Post a Comment