Thursday, October 23, 2014

Settling in

It’s feeling more and more like home. The first few weeks were more difficult between figuring out a new routine, a new section of the city, buses, grocery store all on top of plunging into after school program, learning new names and faces while leading people I am also just beginning to know. Yet in the newness of it all, there is a well acquainted feeling. Regardless of the new names and faces, building, community, bus numbers and programming details here and there it all is quite familiar and feels like home.
We are well into the 5th week of after school program this year and daily more responsibly are being handed over to me. Since a came into after school program during the second week things had been planned and brainstormed ahead of time for the month of Oct which has been a great blessing of being able to watch street leaders lead games, being able to lead bible studies myself and watching everyone work together. Moving forward into the next few weeks I will be leading my  team of two interns and three street leaders to brainstorming more long term of what they want this year to be.
I am convinced as I have sent time planning and setting goals for the things I want to see for program for the youth over the next year that intentionality is a key word for me in it all. As I sat and thought about what we are doing I realized again just how easy it is for anyone to run an after school program in or for an at risk community and I am sure there are a large number of such programs already across this city. So why, why after school programs and to what end because I know for certain it is not just about being one in a long line of programs offered. What makes our program different?

I think it comes down to the intentionality we put into the focus of why we are doing what we do. We run program not to make good citizens or to teach kids how to be leaders and make a difference although we want both of these things to be true for our kids and youth, but it is not the ultimate focus. The focus is Christ, we want them to know Christ, not just know about him but truly know him personally. That changes how we run program, it takes the focus off of great programming, or the best homework help, or the greatest technology and puts all the focus on pouring into the youth the love of Jesus Christ. Modeling the impact within our own hearts from having a personal relationship with Him and tying those two things together thought teaching and walking through life this year with them.

Please pray that we would be fixed on Christ in all our planning, pray for good discussions and opportunities with the youth as we begin splitting into small groups to cultivate discussion and learning together.

Please pray for me as I lead my team, that I would listen well and coach them in a way that enables them to grow and learn as well as that points them to Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! This helps me in my prayer for you. I love the emphasis you put on your own need for Christ because that does help us grow in thankfulness and confidence in His power to change, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete