Monday, January 19, 2015

Prayers interceding on behalf of others

If you’re a parent I am sure you will quickly be able to relate to the thoughts that come to mind when you bow your head in prayer over your child. Thoughts of their strength and abilities that you desire God to use in their life, whether it’s the boldness in the way they speak or the strength of their simple faith. Thoughts of their greatest struggle that you plea for the Spirit to be at work in bringing patience, humility or joy into their lives. As a parent interceding and praying over your child whether a new born or an adult is something of great importance but also I think requires great strength and dedication.

In recognizing my own personally tendency to busy myself in the things that I do, I fall into great danger of forgetting the power and call we have to pray and intercede on the behalf of others. As a missionary to the Warden Woods Community, I can busy myself in running program but so easily forget to pray for individuals. Last week I took some time, set aside to pray through each youth that comes to the after school program. That’s 15 youth. An hour later after I had prayed over their strengths and their weakness and asking God to be at work individual things and ways my heart was filled with much more love for each of them then I had previously experienced. I also noticed that later that day as they arrived the way I interacted and responded to them was also filled with greater purpose and intention.

Something I often forget is that very few people are praying for these kids.  Growing up my parents siblings, grandparents, church community and friends prayed for me. Prayed for me in specific personal ways, my parents prayed that I would walk closely with God, for strength to overcome struggles and for my future spouse.
The kids and youth I work with do not have parents or families who pray for them, they don’t have a church community lifting them up; they have no one interceding on behalf of their salvation. 

If you would like to more specifically know how to be praying for the kids and youth in UrbanPromise Toronto programs please email me at Janelle@urbanpromise.com and I will be able to provide you with more specific needs.


For this week please be praying for our streetleaders as we begin a Thursday night bible study for them. Pray that they come out but also for open hearts and futile soil for the truth of the word to land on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment