Thursday, May 2, 2013

A walk in the community

It is easy to get tired in ministry, to get discouraged when seeing results from your work are limited and to be less energetic about the ministry you do because of this.
The last couple weeks have been tough ones for me personally. I have been sick, welcome family back into the country and say bye to others who were leaving, been weighted down with concern for my nephew in sick kids and tired from not sleeping well. This all makes ministry a little bit hard and running camp its self had been a little difficult the last couple weeks.

Then today happened. I had been praying for energy and joy and God provided both in today. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Urban Promise Mom Workers visiting my camp when i arrived today. After chatting with them we all decided to go do some home visits to drop off fliers.

Every year for a weekend in June Urban Promise takes the mom's up for a retreat in Muskoka to pore into them and to build deeper relationships. I was the first time I really went door to door through the Mount Olive community but it was such a blessing talking to the mom's, it was so amazing seeing them get excited about a weekend trip for them and how much it meant to them.

We spend a good twenty minutes talking to one mother who I had never met before about life and how she was doing. It impacted me a lot because of her perspective on your environment  community, fears, joys and everything else. I came back from that walk in the community so excited about the lasting impact this ministry does have on not only the kids but on their families. This woman's children are to old for the program and she had not spoken to anyone from Urban Promise in a year and a half and she was thrilled to see us and shared a peak into her life in that short period.

This also showed me the huge need for a consist mom's program in the Rexdale area as well as a senior high ministry. I am thrilled with what Urban Promise has done, is doing and will do in the future. Please continue to pray for all the staff, leaders, kids and families of Urban Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment