Saturday, October 26, 2013

My boys

      Within my passion for Urban Promise there is found a lot of smaller passions and a love for individuals or situations. This week my heart has gone out to a group of our older boys. Last year our team had very different dynamics and due to this I spent a lot of my time reaching out and finding ways to connect with the boys. This included basketball, football, wood working, or anything else that interested them. It was a difficult task last week connecting with them but by the end of the year we were tight and they are my boys now.

This year things have changed, we have a lot of new younger kids in camp and our structure has had to change because of this. Things have changed with the boys, I have had a lot less time to be able to spend with them and because of all the changes in camp some of them have stopped coming as regularly. They are struggling to adapt to the new leader and some out of frustration have stopped coming to camp as regularly. I hate that because of the changes in camp they don’t have them same interest in camp. I hate that I don’t have the same amount of time to spend with them. I hate that other things are taking over their priorities. I miss them and my heart aches at the fact that there is always that possibility of losing them.


There are so many things fighting against their lives and their time. The other day one of the boys I hadn't seen in over a week stopped by at camp just to say hi. I barricaded the door and didn't let him leave until we had a good talk. I miss this kid, I miss my boys. I have a huge spot in my heart for them and I don’t ever want to lose them entirely.   Please be praying for this group of boys that they would still desire the love and relationship they can find at camp. That we wouldn't lose the opportunity to continue building that relationship and to spread the love of Jesus Christ to them.

1 comment:

  1. Gah. The love is hard to handle sometimes, isn't it. Love ya, praying too.

    ReplyDelete