Sunday, November 3, 2013

Shoe less

It started like any ordinary kid's trip, we met up with the kids at the church and caught the bus to get to our location this week being down town to go to the St Lawrence Market. We had 5 girls and I was really excited to take them some where new and spend some time laughing with them. If I only knew.
After quiet a long but fun trip we went exiting the subway to walk to the market, it wasn't far now, almost there. Then at the top of the escalator my foot got caught as I should have been getting off. Because i did not step off of the last step my shoe slide under the tiny little gap. I tried to pull it out but since I was on a moving escalator I had nothing to get leverage off of and before I knew it my foot slide out of the shoe and it vanished through the gap, crap!

We all fell into a great heap laughing at the insanity of it all and before I could blink one of the young girls started grabbing newspaper from the shelve to make me a paper shoe. Due to a nice TTC worker who provide elastic bands we were able to fashion a shoe and off we set again. Only problem was it was raining, not quite the right condition to be walking around with a paper shoe. I was humiliated for any of you who know me I hate standing out and being out of control, now I was both walking down the street with one shoe and newspaper. After we wondered through St Lawrence Market we replaced the wet newspaper with a plastic bag which looked "way" better.

My plan all alone was to buy a new pair of shoes quickly but it never felt worth it enough to drag all the kids to a shoe store besides they enjoyed laughing at me and so for the next four hours I  walked around with a plastic bag and then my sock, down the streets, through the Eaton Center and all the way back home on the TTC. My foot was freezing but I was also learning some very valuable lessons, let go of the pride its really not worth it just learn how to laugh at it. Second how much I take my shoes for granted and what it feels like to be without a basic need ( or does it even count as a need?) while everyone around you has it without even considering the fact. It was a fun day but all my girls say the best part was me losing my shoe and walking without it for 5 hours in the rain. I'm glad it made their day because it was my favorite pair of shoes so it makes it all worth it in the end. Defiantly the strangest thing that has ever happened to me and I will definitely be careful on escalators from now on and none of my girls will ever forget to tell me to be careful when I get onto one.

No comments:

Post a Comment