Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Fear

Tonight on walk homes two little boys spent the last few minutes before arriving at their home asking me repeatable to make sure I remember to inform their family member who good they had been, how well they listened, or happy they had been at camp. As we entered their hallway they did a double check to make sure their hat, scarfs and mitts where all on correctly to avoid being yelled at for not dressing properly.

As I stood at the door honestly reporting how well the boys had been, how well they listen and the ways we had seen them improve I knew they were both staring up at me hoping I would not forget any of the details. Once I had finished with the good report of the day it was responded with a far to brief nod of the head before negative words and bad past behave was spoken over them. Their hopeful smiles disappeared for once again there had been no acknowledgement, no praise or smile or high five. Just a slight nod before they were once again talked down and told off.

Fear, is a feeling that too many of our kids experience. This may not seem so odd for you to believe or imagine as you are aware that they all come from rough neighborhoods. Of course coming from such places would cause fear, but it is not so much the neighborhoods that I see them fearing. It is not the guys down the block or the house over there. It is not the crowding hanging in front of their building or the shading looking fellow sitting in his car.
They fear something that has a far bigger influence in their lives. They fear going home, they fear the very people the live with. The fear their family whether it is an older brother, cousin, grandma, mother or random person who dwells with them. They fear the harshness, the negativity spoken over their lives, the hurtful words and actions that are said or shown without a single thought.


As I walked away from their door, the young leader walking with me shook his head in his own disappointment with the situation as he mumbled how unfair it is. Why can’t they just be proud of themselves for 2 minutes before you shut them down again? As we discussed the unfairness of the situation I turned to Him and said, “I guess that’s why we are here doing what we are”. We can’t change any of it but we can speak positive, proud, loving words into these kids and we must, because we may be the only ones who are! 

1 comment:

  1. I love these posts, I love hearing about what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete