Friday, May 15, 2015

Invitation to join me in the mission of reaching, raising and restoring!

Let me share with you about a nonprofit organization in Toronto called UrbanPromise Toronto whose mission it is to Reach children with the love of Jesus to Raise them into leaders who Restore their communities!

I joined UrbanPromise Toronto for a 2 year internship 3 years ago and this past September I joined them as a full time staff member to reach the kids and youth in Warden Woods Scarborough with the love of Jesus Christ and to raise the youth there to be leaders who do love Jesus and make a difference in their communities that are broken in family, in relationship, in love, that are wounded due to gangs and violence.



Let me share a story with you about Dashawn, he is 9 years old and lives not with his mother or his father but with his mother’s ex-boyfriend because he is the only one who cares for me. His mother in fact is missing and wanted by authorities. Dashawn also lives with his three younger half-sisters, only one of them in fact is the blood relation to the ex-boyfriend caring for these four children.  
I first met Dashawn and his “family” this past fall when Dashawn started coming out to camp. He had little self-discipline and large amounts of anger. He struggled in camp to follow the rules of respecting self, others, leader, property and God and often time would end up being suspended due to his behavior After watched him for a while we realized that Dashawn was actually a very orderly kid, and disorder or not knowing what to expect really threw him off in what came out as anger. 
The leaders at camp continued to work with him creating for him his own personal chart showing each transition in a day at camp, he could then earn a sticker for each transition he did well and if he earned all of his stickers he was able to come the next day to camp and so. In two weeks Dashawn went from being suspended every day to earning back every day of the week! He had been empowered in making small decisions that where encouraged and whether he had a good day or not he was loved and always given another chance! 
Today Dashawn is a sweet fun loving boy, now don’t get me wrong he is still the same little boy but something has shifted. This past week as I was in the kitchen I could over hear the boys in the next room having a bible study and he was explained to the other kids what preaching was, this kid who 8 months ago didn’t really know anything about Jesus. We have also gotten to know his younger sisters and desire and hope for them to be able to come to camp in future years! We have also been able to pray with and for and support the ex-boyfriend who gives of himself to care for these children.

I am so excited about the things that are happening in so many children and youth that I have come to know during my time with UrbanPromise Toronto! For the past month I have been interviewing youth who desire to give back to their communities by being a part of summer camp this year and have a chance to be leaders to the younger kids in their communities and to tell them about God!

As a missionary to this community I am financially supported 100% through donations of committed monthly supports and one time donors! Currently I am need of monthly donors to partner with me and the work of UrbanPromise Toronto in a financial way.  My financial goal is $2500 a month and I am currently sitting at 77% of this. If you are interested in joining me in this mission in partnering with me financially I would love to speak more with you.

You can sign up as a monthly donor or make a donation at www.urbanpromise.com “donate” and “support a missionary”.
Thank you for your consideration and support!

Contact Info:
janelle@urbanpromise.com

No comments:

Post a Comment