Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Tough woman in a durag

She frantically ran to retrieve her coffee, a smoke in one hand, and a Styrofoam cup in the other. 
"Did I miss craft time?"
I smile happy to see this  special woman.
"Yes" I responded, "it was from 10 till 1".
Catching her breath the words split out, "Oh shit, I really like craft time, I'm sorry I missed it,I've just been so busy."

We stood just outside of the community center together, she steadily sipped away at her coffee between her smokes. Dressed in tight blue jeans and a black tank top her hair pulled back and hidden behind a durag. 

"I went back to my ex-boss and asked for some work, I'm a hustler now." she said proudly. "That's why I am dressed like this, it's my hustling cloths."
Carefully I choose my words and asked what work she was doing.
"Cleaning cars, you know I never knew how big windshields where until I was cleaning them."

She looked down as she rubbed her tough leather like hands, "It's hard work, I'm not as young as a once was you know,  it's hard on my hands their were all puffy and shit this morning, but the big cars are worth more money."
She rambled on about her grown son need 3 root canals and not having enough money which is why she picked up this job.
"He is a bit of a workaholic, my ex-boss, that's why he liked me, I worked hard, but that was six years ago, shit I'm a lot older now."

She takes on about live on the block, of the daily fears of those who watch the block and of the threats and the hash reality of the past. She finished up with her normal declaration:
"All I know is God is good, He's been watching out for me all this time and He is good that is all I know, you know."
This woman is a strong woman and she has a great faith that God loves her and is looking out for her. She sipped down the last drop of coffee, throw the butt of the cigarette and rushed off down the sidewalk, 
"Love you girls," she shouted over her shoulder and she was gone again. 

Lord Jesus protect her today in the strength and comfort of your everlasting arms. 



No comments:

Post a Comment