Thursday, September 13, 2012

Saying Yes!

Yes has been the motto for this year thus far. I am currently living with two other girls, one from BC and one from Scotland. We are also anticipating and waiting for the arrival of our other two roommates from Germany. I am so happy to be back in Toronto and back into my cozy “flat” as the Scottish calls it. We are having a lovely time getting to know each other and all seem to have the same general interests and craziness which is grand!
Since I already said that our motto thus far is saying yes, let me explain a little bit about that! From the influence of each other we have all decided to say to random things that we normally would have said no to. This may sound dangerous but don’t worry it’s about stuff like trying new food, or going for a sunrise run, or taking late night photos.
Since we have been here we have mostly spent time getting to know the people we will be working with, planning the afterschool program and walking in the communities getting to know the kids and getting them to fill out their registration forms. It was awesome to see some of the kids again and they were pretty excited to see me as well which felt great!
Yesterday we had a short day of planning since out supervisor had some else to be and so we were able to take the new “tourists” down town to the harbour front. We also got this really awesome blessing to go see the Jays game for free. There is a company that donates tickets to go see games, sometimes baseball, or basketball or hockey. During the school program we would take the kids but since it has not started yet our supervisor gave them to us and we got to watch the Jays! They lost 2 to 3.
Then when we got home way to late and completely exhausted I fell asleep for exactly one hour till I woke up again when our new “flat mate” arrived from Germany. The poor girl had to meet us all half asleep and not entirely with it. This morning has been a lot better so far.
I am really excited to start camp as I hear so much about it! Camp will run Tuesdays till Thursdays and on Friday we make a dinner with the kids from the program and with any other kids from the community that want to come for more of an evangelistic evening. When I am not at camp I will be doing a number of different things; attending a weekly worship service with all of Urban Promise staff, volunteering at a school, Intern classes and apartment devotion/meeting morning. So we have just over a week of training and planning then all of this will begin!!
Thanks again everyone for your support as you have given of yourself!! Its greatly appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog Janelle, it helps to keep connected :) I'll be praying for you! I'm so glad you're doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Janelle...please keep it up! I love to be able to keep up with you even though we will be living farther apart. Praying for you as well,
    Elizabeth W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement guys, I love blogging so its a great way to keep connect!! and I am glad I am doing what I am as well :D

    ReplyDelete