Saturday, November 3, 2012

God`s grace in my life

First off I really struggled coming up with a title for this post. It`s a little bit of everything and i figured that God`s grace is involved in all of that so thus the name.

Secondly I want to apologize for the horrible spelling that has been very present in my blog posts lately. My only explanation for this is due to the fact that I am normally trying to write after 10:30 p.m. and I am usually pretty wiped at that point of the day.

Also my keys on my laptop are starting to stick so every time I hit the “S” key I actually need to check to make sure it shows up. But moving on, this week has been a very busy week.

I am not sure why it has felt busier than most I guess mostly due to random things that have made it more complicated or exciting. Hurricane Sandy came through causing a lot of wind, rain and nasty weather. Camp was able to continue as it normally does which was a blessing. As the weeks progress relationships continue to be formed and we as a team are learning daily of how to improve camp and activities.

Camp can get pretty crazy some times to the point where it feels out of control. Some days we get more kids then we predicted and they have more energy than we imaged and it can be difficult to keep them all busy.
This week we have really tried to work towards making camp more structured in the sense that certain activities start at certain times so that those crazy moments of confusion are kept limited.

Reflecting back on this week there is nothing that really stands out in my mind to do with the kids. It was one of those weeks that you just push through the hardness of their hearts, pass the distrust and wait for the break through to happen.

It’s in these times that what I do can become tedious or pointless and pushing forward remembering why I am here and doing what I am doing I for a bigger purpose then what I can see.

Just upon thinking a moment does pop to mind that I had with a very young child. He is only 5 years old and on Thursday afternoon I was in charge of walking him along with a few others back to their homes. He did not want to leave camp and wanted very badly to have something to eat. I was able to convince him to walk home with me and when he got there I would give him a yogurt tube that was in my coat pocket. He clasped my hand and we headed out, he was pretty silent the whole way home except for when I asked him a question.
This little boy had come out going door to door collecting candy with his leaders the night before and was exhausted after a long day. He stumbled as we held my hand and made the way home. When we got about 10 feet away from his door he started whimpering, I encouraged him and gave him his reward. This little guy is adorable but he also has a really tough life. He lives with his grandmother and brother and sometimes his mom but does not receive the love and care a little boy of this age should have. He does not get the help he needs in school and without Urban Promise would be very lost and along.

Sometimes it hard and it hurts that we cannot do more for kids who are stuck in such sad situations, but realizing the things we can do to better their future is what we strive for. Please keep this little boy in your prayers!

Side note of thanks giving, God provided in a huge way for me this week as I was finally able to sell my car!!

No comments:

Post a Comment